3DogMike
(.400 member)
14/03/22 01:30 AM
Re: EM Reilly 450 Express

Quote:

Question for you experienced reloaders. When sizing cases for the first time, especially these long BPE cases of 3 to 3.25 inches, do you tend to lose 1 case per batch during initial sizing?

So far I've lost 1 each of a 500 BPE, 450 BPE and 360 BPE lot. I overall feel like I'm learning (I've been doing this roughly a year), but I just lost another case. They are so expensive, it's irritating.

I am lubing with Imperial sizing wax, and not trying to size on one pass. These 450 cases (BELL) have been the hardest to do so far.

Could you elaborate as to “losing cases”? Do you mean big oil dents, deep creases or folds, splits, crumpling?

I use Imperial sizing die wax (and only the barest thin film as mentioned above). If forming basic brass or necking a cylindrical case, I, like Tony, size only maybe 8-10mm rotate 180° and repeat. Taking the sizing really slowly. Sometimes between steps I rewipe the case with my fingers to respread the film of lube and eliminate it from “building up” in any area.

Have not used the old Bell basic cases except for .50 Sharps 3 1/4”, and years ago formed some into .500/.450 #1 Express with no drama. I wonder if annealing before sizing might help?
Not had any trouble with .450 3 1/4” using Hornady or Bertram brass, but then those are already formed rather than basic brass.
- Mike

Contact Us NitroExpress.com