transvaal
(.300 member)
09/06/21 01:46 AM
Re: .577 NE 3 inch - 650 gr / 90 gr Cordite Questions

Quote:

Quote:

I have been trying to do some research on a few top British maker .577 NE double rifles that were built around 1903 and the barrel flats are stamped:
.577 EX
90 Cordite - 650 Max

These are .577 NE 3 inch guns and I take they are regulated/proofed for the 90 gr Cordite / 650 gr Bullet load. How does this load compare to the full bore 750 gr loads? Is it anemic and not as useful as a dangerous game "stopper" rifle? I assume that shooting full bore loads would not be safe in these rifles, regardless of regulation?

Thanks!

I own an old double rifle from Webley & Scott, built 1909, which was initially regulated for an 650gr bullet and 90gr of cordite. It was reproofed again later for an 750gr bullet and 90gr of cordite. However, the previous owner always used Kynoch cartridges with full charge, 750gr bullet and 100gr of cordite, and I also used similar modern cartridges caliber 577NE several times in the rifle without any problems.

This must be a "grand" old Webley & Scott double rifle and likely with the strength of Samson---- so to speak. Is it a screw grip top lever action? Those actions double rifles have a reputation as being the one of the strongest double rifles made by the English. Is it possible for you to post a photo of your Webley & Scott? They are highly desirable rifles.

I happen to own a copy of the original book published by the United Kingdom proof houses in 1954 and this book lists the load of the various Cordite proof loads used when proofing double rifles (probably to 1925 rules of proof--maybe earlier I do not know) --I do not know how much Cordite was produced after 1954. In the case of the .577 NE (both 3 inch and 3 1/4 inch cases) the amount of Cordite used to proof the rifle was 117gr with a 750gr projectile. Note: By comparison the .600 NE 3 inch case was proofed with 128gr of Cordite and a 900gr projectile; and the .500NE 3 1/4inch case was proofed with 93gr of Cordite and a 570gr projectile. Further all of these 3 proof loads were listed as using "greased cloth wadding" and as a matter of fact all of the proof loads for NITRO EXPRESS rifles lists greased cloth wadding.

As to the reproof of your Webley & Scott double rifle. Was it re-proofed in Birmingham or London.
The reason I ask is that in 1921 the Birmingham Proof Master, Colonel Charles Playfair, introduced a system of "private view marks" stamped on guns and rifles during proof. These marks consisted of crossed swords (or scepters) with a capital letter at the top (between the sword hilts) indicating a year (A=1July1921 to 30June1922) and a number of dots indicating the seniority of the inspector who viewed the firearm during proof. This letter code was used until 1941 (letter "V") when Colonel Playfair died. The use of these viewer marks returned under the Birmingham Proof Master R.P. Lees in 1950 and this time the date year letter was on the left of the swords and a "B" on the right (Birmingham). Letter A was 1950 and letter Z was 1974.

Do you see such a viewers mark on the barrel flats of your Webley & Scott double rife, if so you can date it's reproof year?

Kindest Regards;
Stephen Howell

Contact Us NitroExpress.com