NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
31/05/21 04:37 PM
Re: A modern custom Howdah pistol

Quote:

Oh WOW Im onboard for this one! I would say 6-8 inch barrels, maybe even a second set OR a duplicate gun with longer (say 14 inches) and a detachable shoulder stock , packaged as a set.

Yes I like the hammer idea too; but with them tilted just a bit into the center so that they can be cocked at the same time with one hand-Taylors sells a SxS Coach Gun like that. Id want a side lever over a top lever; but Im flexible on that one. Also a true pistol grip (like the one pictured).

Cartridge, Hmmmm? Lets see 45-70 would be the easy button but maybe something a bit shorter. Id certainly prefer bigger. How'bout 50-70? Theres always 500S&W if youre open to smokeless

Youll have to school me on why it has to have rifled barrels. I recall some talk awhile back about I seem to a cartridge based on the brass 20ga shells shortened to 2 inches called 600 Manchester. One version had round ball exposed but held in place with 5 or 6 crimps. The other had a conical loaded like a bullet. I dont recall any load data other than it was a BP load. Seems to me that would have the punch and look

Of course a smooth bore howdah pistol or shotgun shooting slugs or ball I think might do as well.

No one seems to be able to answer just how accurate or well regulated these rifled howdah pistols were?

So it is possible a smooth bore 12 bore, 16 bore or 20 bore, with a slug or ball would do as well?

I reckon hitting a steel plate, 12 inches wide at 10 yards would be pretty good. A tiger at almost or actual touching distance would be even easy to shoot without even aiming, just pointing, if the elephant was not shaking and thrashing around, the howdah rcoking enough to almost break its leather staps, the tiger moving like a wound up spring of deaht, and ones bowels emptying into ones spotless pure white gentleman's trousers!

A Mad Max sawn off shotgun howdah pistol is a very cheap and real answer for a fun Howdah Action Target shoot. A plus is it also could shoot heavy shot! Again legality is a bit of an issue.
These howdah pistols I would think were both rifled and smoothbore. I think a lot of variation might have existed.

I do like the fantasy of a rifle howdah pistol, which does regulate to some extent. And could be used for practical hunting.

A longer barrel set and a clip on rifle stock, would make it very versatile.

I can hear the police raid banging on my front door right now.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com