NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
31/05/21 04:27 PM
Re: A modern custom Howdah pistol

Quote:

Quote:

Fantasy time, at leeast for most of us.

You win lotto, a big win and decide to commission a double rifle maker to build your own Howdah handgun.

The design is to be something like the one recently posted.

6 1/2in. rifled barrels
overall length 13 1/4in
weight approximately 3 1/4lbs.

because the shotgun project is called a cheap and bad idea before I have seen once pics of a howdah pistol exactly in this style with smooth barrels shooting 20 ga slugs with brass cases.
With the right donor shotgun its possible to change anything in the way it have to be.

cut and welding is the great secret.I think this is the best way to build such a pistol if a cut off shotgun is legal to fire in your area.

Yes a shotgun with hammers could well be a sensible choice as the base for such a howdah handgun.

Mick/264 and Marrakai both owned a Greener Empire Shotgun in 12 gauge which was converted to a .577 :ight NE double rifle.

Such a shotgun could be modified also into a howdah handgun. Perhaps with 12 bore case and rifled barrels. Or a shortened .577 LNE case to a handgun cartridge length and a lighter bullet or round bullet.

Ideally a shotgun with hammers could be used.

Why? Because the hammers can be kpet down, the howdah relatively safe until the hammers are cocked. Much safer than a safety. A modern decocker safety would also be fairly safe on a loaded side by side handgun, "hanging around" ... BUT old fashioned hammers are just so much cooler.

I have hypothesised that a Baikal side by side .45/70 cut shorterd and a pistol grip fashioned from the pistol grip butt stock. would make a "spartan" howdah pistol. Looking at mine, it does appear chunky and I wonder what weight it would end up as. Very muzzle heavy I think.

A Pedersoli .45/70 S/S cut down with hammers would maybe be better. Higher cost!

Simialr case capacity. Disappointly smaller bore, a .50 to 480 gr projectile, however it would work.

Would at the minimum be a fun gun for am ACTION howdah shoot. Make a raised platform, rocking and swaying somewhat, and popup tiger or leopard targets at close range. One or two shots before it pops down again after a few seconds. Safety considerations might be difficult to ensure.

All these discussions assume any such project is legal where it would be made and owned. Anothe rproblematic consideration in the modern world.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com