NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
31/05/21 04:13 PM
Re: A modern custom Howdah pistol

Quote:

Quote:

Cartridge, Hmmmm? Lets see 45-70 would be the easy button but maybe something a bit shorter. Id certainly prefer bigger. How'bout 50-70? Theres always 500S&W if youre open to smokeless

I did this for someone a couple of weeks ago

Not a break open gun, and not a cartridge that I'm longing for as a hunting gun for myself, but since you mentioned hyphenated cartridges I figured I'd put that up for kicks...

Yes in reality and maybe in history a large calibre revolver would probably be used a a howdah self defence handgun against tiger attack. There is a large calibre Webley, .577?, thread on the NE forums.

A .455 Webley would probably work well enough as well.

Four to seven rounds in the cyclinder allow quick follow up additional shots.

A modern .357 revolver would work pretty well as well.

Something like this hand cannon, no doubt would work.

The side by side howdah pistil in large calibre originated as a muzzle loading bp pistol. Tqwo qucik shots at very close range. Perhaps when the muzzle loading long arms had been expended already on the hunt or the charge?

Then a short period when small numbers of cartridge case howdah pistols were made. Also loading blakc powder. No doubt the cost went up as well. Before the era of larger reliable handguns/revolvers with similar power. Perhaps the Webley became a popular handgun to carry on an elephants back?

But also the era of non muzzle loaders, breech loading drs and shotguns, which also could be reloaded quickly compared to a muzzle loader. So perhaps less need for a handgun.

I will put a probability out there, the howdah handgun originated not just for a "tiger on the elephants back" but also do to the slow reloading spped of a muzzle loading rifle or shotgun on the swaying rocking back of an elephant. A single or double barreled ML handgun used a a weapon of last defence. We know shorter barreled rifles and shotguns existed for use in or on a howdah. A handgun is of course very short and can be swumg around and pointed quickly, where a long arm has to manouvre around the bodies on the howdah saddle.

So my hypothesis on the howdah:

1. Became a weapon of last defence on a howdah saddle due to :
1a. Long arms being muzzle loaders and once shot, took too long to reload, a handgun provided quick emergemcy shots;

1b. A howdah pistol being short was manouverable in the cramoed howdah saddle full 360 degrees, around the other riders.

2. With the creation of breech loading long arms, there was less need for a howdah pistol, but:

2a. We see these lovely breech loading vrass case howdah pistols in limited numbers;

2b. A muzzle loading howdah pistol would still have been useful and effective in the age of breech loading wlong arms. It is a weapon of short length considerable power or last resort. Two powerful shots probably wiill resolve the threat or not at all.

3. With the advent of large and reliable powerful revolvers, the side by side and single shot howdah handgun became redundant.

But back to the topic. They are cool. And I want one. And we are fantasising about building a modern side by side version, and what it could be chambered for.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com