NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
30/05/21 08:55 AM
Re: .577 Howdah

Quote:

Hi Nitrox
Yes it is .577 Snider
It is totally illegal to shoot in the UK
What about Australia? (is that where you are?)
I have a Snider rifle on certificate so have ammunition but if I put in the pistol
5 Years in jail!!

I do not know the law in Australia and also different states,

A Howdah handgun MIGHT be able to be owned as a non shooting antique. If it satisfies the age test, which it would. And if ammunition is not readily available for it.

As noted it can be handloaded, but so can many other antques not being shot.

If owned as a collectors firearm, a collectors firearm can be shot in South Aust ONE TIME per year. And ammunition can not be held for the collectors firearm. Some states and territories such as the NT have far better collectors laws.

I am not sure how the difference between an antique, ie not on the firearms register, and a collectors firearm, ie on the firearms regisater, works. Obviously different.

The BGRC - Big Game Rifle Club - has a Howdah shoot discipline. I don't know if any club actually shoots the Howdah shoots? I think it is shooting paper only. If my opinion a Howdah shoot needs to be from a rocking or wobbly platform and shoot pop up tigers and leopards at close range , which also pop down again seconds later. Might be difficult to do safely. I do want to build such a setup myself.

I would also like to see steel silouhette style targets for a Howdah competition. WHY? Because in Australia we have a maximum handgun calibre size of 9 mm/.38. In South Aust the only acceptable exclusion to this ban for our SA Police, is if metal targets need more power to be knicked over. A .577 Howdah is out of bounds if shooting paper. But knocking over a sizable metal target might be acceptable. Another proviso has been the competition needed to be Olympic or Commonwealth competition recognised, which BGRC is not.

Hunting in South Aust with a handgun is not legal.

I would try to buy one anyway. And would obviously want to shoot it. Even if only as a collector until things change if ever. Or as an antique if that was the only way.

I am serious grieved to not be able to bid for this item. Have been thinking of what I could sell, a double rifle not used yet, organs, my soul?

But I may be purchasing half or more of a pastoral bush block very soon and that will be "spare funds" for a few decades.

I think these howdahs are reasonable investments as well, for those who can or will sell them on oneday.

A real pity you can not shoot your howdah handgun in Borisistan.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com