buckstix
(.400 member)
25/05/21 09:04 AM
Re: My first Merkel Double Rifle - 470 NE - this is a great gun.

Quote:

Re: Triggers on Double Guns.

Rear Trigger on a double triggererd double gun - whether its a rifle or a shotgun generally has a heavier pull weight than the front. Firstly for reasons of safety - you do not want the second being discharged by the recoil of the first. But more importantly gives you more control on the second shot - most second shots are much more dynamic. It's a faster follow up shot on the duck that barreling skywards, or on a double rifle, its the follow up on a fast disappearing buffalo. Adrenalin is up, trigger finger is moving fast back onto the trigger, so a bit of extra weight helps you to control things.

Given the way the doubles need to be shot - ie firmly held and squeezed in, a bit of weight on the front trigger I find really helps the whole process. On my Hambrusch I do have a push forward set trigger that is very light. When set I find it difficult to shoot accurately as you are trying to counterbalance a firm hold on the rifle with a delicate touch on the set trigger. Unset - breath in and as the sites align, squeeze both hands and think the bullet into the target and breath out on the follow through.

Hello HeymSR20,
Thanks for the reply.

Yes, I agree with everything you say. I only asked the question of heavy rear trigger pull because it seems much heavier than most of my other double rifles. But then again, I notice it because I'm slowly squeezing for an accurate second shot on paper. I'm sure in the field, when facing dangerous game, it wouldn't be noticed at all.

BTW mauserand9mm, an email from Merkel confirmed that my rifle does have an intercepting sear on the rear trigger - just like yours.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com