HeymSR20
(.300 member)
13/05/21 06:01 PM
Re: My first Merkel Double Rifle - 470 NE - this is a great gun.

Re: Triggers on Double Guns.

Rear Trigger on a double triggererd double gun - whether its a rifle or a shotgun generally has a heavier pull weight than the front. Firstly for reasons of safety - you do not want the second being discharged by the recoil of the first. But more importantly gives you more control on the second shot - most second shots are much more dynamic. It's a faster follow up shot on the duck that barreling skywards, or on a double rifle, its the follow up on a fast disappearing buffalo. Adrenalin is up, trigger finger is moving fast back onto the trigger, so a bit of extra weight helps you to control things.

Given the way the doubles need to be shot - ie firmly held and squeezed in, a bit of weight on the front trigger I find really helps the whole process. On my Hambrusch I do have a push forward set trigger that is very light. When set I find it difficult to shoot accurately as you are trying to counterbalance a firm hold on the rifle with a delicate touch on the set trigger. Unset - breath in and as the sites align, squeeze both hands and think the bullet into the target and breath out on the follow through.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com