buckstix
(.400 member)
21/04/21 09:35 PM
Re: My first Merkel Double Rifle - 470 NE - this is a great gun.

Quote:

Looking good!

Hello tinker,
Thanks for the reply.

Quote:

target is promising
its allways nice to get the reloading stuff with a new gun so you can start with ammo making and don't have to look and to wait especially with harder to find stuff.

Hello lancaster,
Thanks for the reply.
Yes. Although I still had some left-overs from my first 470NE, all the stuff with this purchase easily amounted to over $1500 added to the buy, making it a very, very good deal.

Quote:

That 400gr. group looks GREAT for NA shooting. Well, done, buckstix.

Hello Daryl_S
Thanks for the reply.
Yes indeed. I like to think that I can take any of my double rifles for a walk during deer hunting here in Wisconsin.

Quote:

Those groups look usable. But I wonder if the bullets and brrels are still not spreading as the distance increases.
Perhaps try increasing the velocity a small amount, bring the barrels in closer together and maybe drop them lower on the target as well with more velocity.
But no problems with the regulation at all at 50 yards. Except maybe hitting a little high. But can be well used on deer sized game out to a 100 yards as is.
Doing well.
I have always liked the Merkels. A plain rifle but on the used market often very affordable and do what they are meant to do.
Well done.

Hello NitroX,
Thanks for the reply.
Compared to many of my other double rifles, the groups from this one are very acceptable, considering my 69 year old eyes.

Quote:

thought the standard 470 ammo was at 2150fps?
Looks a bit low for factory ammo - still I wouldn't want to get in front of that load either!
Nice one Bucksticks, very nice indeed

Hello 93x64mm,
Thanks for the reply.
I have found that "all" of my double rifles shoot Factory ammo at velocities Lower than published. In this case the short 23-1/2" barrel length might also be a factor. Much of the published velocities are done with longer test barrels. When I looked back at the data from my 470NE Sabatti, the Factory ammo also averaged about 2050 fps.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com