93x64mm
(.416 member)
05/03/21 08:42 AM
Re: Anyone own a .400 Purdey?

Quote:

I built one on a Greener Martini action with a .411 bore dia 14 twist barrel and have found it to be most versatile. I can shoot 210gr 41 mag bullets for fun, little deer and pigs, 300gr 405 Win bullets for bigger soft skinned game incl cats, and even 350gr Swift A Frames for DG. Plus a "foraging" load of 000 buck pellets stacked in a 410 wad, they group tightly due to the spin, mainly as coyote medicine and I would not hesitate to use it on the odd guinea fowl or duiker.

I make brass from 9.3x74R by the wheaties method, quick trim and then full fireform load. The chamber was cut for the 9.3 rim as this brass is plentiful if a tad short.

Next project is an 8.5lb double, will be regulated for the A Frames at 2200 and will also try to find a sweet spot with the 41 mag bullet. I hear it can be done.

No idea why Purdey used such a mild load and short bullet. Mind you, back in those days they did not have the bullet technology we have today.

Russ,
That must have been a tight one to get around the corner of a Martini?
Mind you in regards to strength, shouldn't the Martini be theoretically should be stronger than a double?
I guess you made a .410 3" shot shell into a full Nitro version, not the NFB type
Glad you had a lot of success with it, would be nice to see you Greener if you can

Contact Us NitroExpress.com