DarylS
(.700 member)
06/10/20 03:08 AM
Re: Cogswell & Harrison.500 express, London.

Quote:

The problem I see with this otherwise interesting concept is that one cannot test that G-force will not detonate the compound without putting ones barrel at risk!

Yes - that is why I stopped using that compound, Marrakai. Too, it was noted that even a change in temperature might set it off. Perhaps that was going a bit far, but it was quite energetic.
A chunk the size of a "split" pea on the anvil of my 5" bench vice, would throw the hammer up over shoulder height.
The chemist noted that my use of flour of sulphur(sublimed) not ground sulphur as well as ground briquets instead of the called-for charcoal would also have added some chemicals and refinement which could also alter the compound's stability problems, either way.
The compound was also very corrosive as I used it in the tap-o-caps (aluminum home made percussion caps? on the ML. The cap flash actually pitted the barrel around the nipple drum and barrel of the rifle barrel I used the caps on. They were really good hot caps, too. Never had a miss-fire with them. I always cleaned the barrel the day it was used, as well. That chlorate is very corrosive.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com