carpediem4570
(.300 member)
01/09/20 02:24 PM
Re: A double rifle affordable for everyone?

I own a Merkel in 9.3x74R AND a Baikal double rifle in 45-70.

The Merkel, IMHO, is a beautiful little rifle to shoot. It functions flawlessly and with the regulation screw to adjust the barrel, I can build any load to suit my hunting or shooting needs.

Is the $900.00 Baikal as good as the Merkel? Hell No. The stock looks and feels like a club with a wrist that is way to thick. The triggers are heavy and long in the pull. The under and over ribs are made from pressed sheet steel. The sights look like they came from an ak-47 and, its stiff as hell to break open when you manually extract the shells from the chamber.

Having said that, is it a fun gun to play with? HELL YES. The barrels can be adjusted for regulation via a jack screw on the under side mid-way down the barrel. I can use all my cast lead bullets on this gun and regulate it for each weight. I get reasonable accuracy at 100 yard off my standing bench, 1.5-2 inches. I can also load it with copper jacket bullets no problem. The gun comes with a rib you can mount a scope to. Best of all, I can take this gun out in the woods and not worry about scratching it up because it is only $900.00. And having hunted and shot deer with 45-70, i would not hesitate to use this gun for deer or moose hunting.

Using the Merkel is like dancing the waltz with a ballerina. Using the Baikal is like dancing the polka with the fat bar maid at the pub. Both are very different experiences and equally enjoyable.

Kind regards,

Carpediem

Contact Us NitroExpress.com