NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
17/06/20 11:40 PM
Re: Hammers on firearms for dangerous game hunting?

Yes it is normal to have both hammers cocked. I certainly do on shotguns.

But if say hunting buffalo or elephant, if both barrels are discharged, you have an empty gun and probably one bullet zipping out uselessly. A lot longer to reload and fire again, than merely thumb back a second hammer and fire the second barrel.

Also these very heavy recoiling rifles, you aren't going to have an instant second shot. You have to deal with the recoil first.

If compared to a bolt action, the thumbing back of the second hammer is still faster than working a bolt ... "no I disagree with that, I can work my bolt so fast !!! " .... mmmmm bullshit .... a person saying that has probably not shot a .600 NE.

Yes I think two hammers back is better, but I also do not own a .600 NE double rifle. I have shot David's rifle. I have more "gravitas" than David. Thankfully less "gravitas" now than then. I will have to post the fat gut photo.

It would be good to hear Ahmed577's comments. He has a H&H .600 NE as well. I took a photo of Graham Williams in Darwin holding it, having borrowed it for the BGRC National shoot a few years ago. Have never posted those photos! Sorry Graham.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com