NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
16/06/20 08:43 PM
Re: Hammers on firearms for dangerous game hunting?

Quote:

Some how 1911s were safe to carry into combat for 100 years, then DA/SA anwswered a problem that didnt exist outside of training and now its a new answer with Strikers.

Bureaucrats love fixing problems which never existed in the first place. While sitting at their desks.

Quote:

So we fought how many wars with hammer guns, telling soldiers to cock the hammer before shooting??? As this relates to Dangerous Game, hammers MAY be a tad bit slower when startled; but certainly no slower than flipping the safety off. K-Guns have a cocking lever instead of a safety but its a heavier spring and not as easily flipped "off" in an emergency encounter.

A trend perhaps for legal reasons, is a lot of Germanic guns do have uncocking devices, and even modern sorts of external hammers or hammers which can be uncocked. I remember seeing some sort of modern hammers, unlike the older ones on an Austrian break open gun. Perhaps someone can find it? I am sure it is on NE somewhere.

I think for the Professional Hunter who has a double rifle to back up clients, to have such a DR which uncocks, is a huge advantage. What use is an unloaded double rifle, with no rounds in the chambers? And loaded chambers, one must rely on the safety only. Of course good users have good firearms safety skills and keep the muzzle pointed in a safe direction. But how much better to be able to carry a DR with loaded chambers, but uncocked. And if dropped, eg on its butt, does not fire. The uncocking/cocking "safety" is usually less likely to get bumped or knocked into a fire position.

External hammers are similar. They CAN be knocked open. But are as the above uncocking safeties, much safer to easily carry loaded chambers. Have never seen a PH using external hammers though. Not surprising, most PHs are not wealthy. Those that can afford a DR go for a modern rifle. Hammers are for old timers and clients with vintage guns.

Quote:

My habit when carrying my Merkel is to load it, close it, flick the safety off, then put it back "ON" for carrying. It takes about 500 repetitions to burn something into muscle memory, so I sat in front of the TV with dummy rounds and repeated the same motions over and over. Now Im looking for a Paradox with hammers. Ill PRACTICE cocking without looking and lowering the hammers. I may even try it with live primers in otherwise empty cases just to add a bit of seriousness to the maneuvers.

Ha ha, I used TV elephants to practice shooting elephants in the brain. TV docos, the makers would be horrified to know were being used in such a way. An calendars and books. Everytime I saw an elephant, quickly estimated the shooting point to reach the brain. TV doco elephants you often have split sections before a scene changes.

Its good practice for all sorts of repetitive training. I would NOT use live primers in the house. I would be too scared closing the gun seeing live primers and have to quadruple check they aren't loaded rounds!

Good repetitive practice is something a lot of people miss. Having "99" guns, and shooting them once a decade each. Every gun different. I once found I would reload at the waist not at the shoulder so practiced that. Usually it is automatic now. A .22 RF is fine to build up the repetitive action. The working the bolt at the waist comes from the desire to not loose brass for reloads. For a dangerous game rifle in particular this is stupid. For a break open gun, different of course.

The idea of taking a safety off when at the shoulder is another practice to make automatic.

And for hammer guns, at the shoulder as well. I think I don't do this for hammer guns. Will have a think how I want to do it. Consciously before raising, or at the shoulder? May depend on the circumstances.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com