NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
16/06/20 08:25 PM
Re: Hammers on firearms for dangerous game hunting?

Quote:

This however I can recommend if one wants to gain experience in using a side-by-side hammergun is to buy a hammer shotgun and go birdhunting in SA, England or other places where one can enjoy mass shooting and develop gun practice. I am sure after a week cocking hammers and learn point-ability the adaption of this empirial gained knowledge to a big game hammerrifle rifle wouldn`t take long. It all about workability with use of hammerguns. The Jones underlever is a bit slower to work than a toplever for volumes of fast flying doves but fast enough. I am not in a hurry.

I agree completely. I started off shooting my Dad's two hammer shotguns. A .410 side by side, and a 12-bore Hollis side by side.

I think the .410 was tightly chocked. I remember the dust explosions at range when I missed a rabbit. Not a great big circle! I learned to shoot that .410 really well. When I started with it, its extractor was weak, and I needed to carry a cleaning rod to push out cases. Much later I had it repaired.

When I switched to the 12-bore, I probably shot worse. An easier gun to shoot and got lazier shooting! That gun is the one I have described elsewhere as not possibly being very safe. Certainly needed the shorter shells - 2 1/2" - which I did NOT use or know about back then.

I also have a 12-bore Stevens - an American brand I believe - which was owned by my other Grandfather and my Uncle gave it to me. Hammers as well. In better condition. However missing one hammer, my Uncle had 'temporarily' lost it, since refound, I hope, but I don't have it yet. Need to get it repaired by someone competent. Then I will shoot it. I hoped to use it at Vintagers shoots. Never have shot at a Vintager shoot! A day's full drive away.

Using a hammer shotgun is slightly slower in lock time than an internal lock. So shooting clays is slightly slower and more difficult. Some farm guys with their old hammer side by sides shoot better than guys with their fancy special clay shotguns. In the usage and practice.

I love using hammer shotguns.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com