EDELWEISS
(.375 member)
16/06/20 09:49 AM
Re: Hammers on firearms for dangerous game hunting?

Hahahaha this sounds like the same argument for combat handguns. I started as a MP with a 1911 designed to be carried cocked and locked, except the Army wouldnt allow anyone below SGT to carry with a round in the chamber and certainly not cocked and locked. Then we went to the M9 and its DA/SA trigger/hammer. Now the Army is being issued striker fired M17 SIGs. Some how 1911s were safe to carry into combat for 100 years, then DA/SA anwswered a problem that didnt exist outside of training and now its a new answer with Strikers.

So we fought how many wars with hammer guns, telling soldiers to cock the hammer before shooting??? As this relates to Dangerous Game, hammers MAY be a tad bit slower when startled; but certainly no slower than flipping the safety off. K-Guns have a cocking lever instead of a safety but its a heavier spring and not as easily flipped "off" in an emergency encounter.

My habit when carrying my Merkel is to load it, close it, flick the safety off, then put it back "ON" for carrying. It takes about 500 repetitions to burn something into muscle memory, so I sat in front of the TV with dummy rounds and repeated the same motions over and over. Now Im looking for a Paradox with hammers. Ill PRACTICE cocking without looking and lowering the hammers. I may even try it with live primers in otherwise empty cases just to add a bit of seriousness to the maneuvers.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com