Rhodes
(.275 member)
22/03/20 05:57 PM
Re: pdersoli 45-70 thoughts?

I've hunted with a Pedersoli Kodiak double chambered for 9.3x74R. It was regulated for the RWS 285gr T-Mantel load. This is a low pressure loading (meant to be 45,000 psi) which I think is sympathetic to the action on these rifles. With the 22" barrels it chronographed at 2220 fps over my chrony, which matched what Quickload predicted. As a comparison, the original 9.3x62 Mauser loading in Africa was 285gr @ 2175fps back in Taylor's time, which was popular for most game in Africa before the Germans stepped it up to 2350fps. So the Kodiak double in 9.3x74R is a bit better than the original 9.3x62 Mauser loading.

This rifle had 3 folding leaf sights for 100 / 200 / 300 yards, so one sight for both barrels. I only ever used the 100 yard sight. The spring wire that the folding leaf hinged on kept working loose and the leaf would fall off. I eventually lost the rear leaf.

The balance was wrong on this rifle in my opinion. The barrels were thick and it was barrel heavy making it uncomfortable to carry on a long hunt, as opposed to having the weight "between the hands" for quick handling and balance. The plus side of being barrel heavy was that it was rock solid while aiming. If you were fatigued from a long hunt or you had to chase and your heart was pounding and you were breathing heavy, the rifle would come to your shoulder and your eye's would be over the sights and it would sit on target until you squeezed off the shot, whether you had a stationary target or you were swing the barrels on running game.

I used it for stalking Wild Boar. The first and longest shot I ever took with it was a running Boar at 100 yards. The closest shot was at 10 yards after stalking through an acacia forest on my hands and knees. In that case the hammers were a bonus, when in position they allowed me to silently cock the double before firing. There were other times while stalking through thick stuff with both hammers back ready for a quick shot that the lack of safety bothered me a little.

It was always the first gun I reached for on a hunt. I will admit though that by the fourth or fifth day I would be sick of carrying it and would grab my light weight, 375 Win Lever Gun.

Just my opinion's, hope it helps.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com