NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
10/02/20 10:15 PM
Re: A Howdahing Moment!

While this Greener Empire .577 Light Nitro shotgun conversion was not I believe purposefully a "howdah rifle" its barrel length is certainly suitable. And would be powerful enough for leopard, tiger, buffalo, gaur, bear and wild elephant.

LAST DANCE WITH THE FAT LADY

A favourite tract of wooded hills dissected by intermittent sandy creeklines would be the venue for my last hunt with a marvellous double rifle that had been the catalyst for a great many fond memories over the years. I had recently acquired another side-by-side with the same .577 x 2 3/4 chambering, a vintage Webley screw-grip retailed by the Army & Navy Co-op Society around the turn of the previous century, so now the Greener "Empire" would have to go. I could only hope that it would leave me with one last trophy to help ease the deep sense of regret I was suffering as the inevitable parting drew closer. I need not have worried: that amazing rifle had always been something of a lucky charm in my hands!

We had been walking the eastern-most creekline when a series of seepage areas running off towards the escarpment caught my eye. Temporarily parting company with Marty I wandered over for a look, but the area was devoid of game and I soon headed back to re-acquire the creek. My mate was nowhere to be seen however, so moving on towards the inviting shade of a copse of cabbage-gums I pulled out the UHF radio to give him a call.

At the sound of my voice, a huge black buffalo bull jumped up from his wallow hidden amongst the trees, and took off at a gallop back towards the gully. In full stride his horns looked magnificent, so I hastily stuffed the radio into my pocket mid-sentence and threw up the rifle, desperately seeking a sight-picture worthy of the front trigger. By happy circumstance a wide gap in the bankside vegetation gave me the opportunity I so urgently required, and the Greener double bellowed loudly. On receiving the shoulder-shot the bull crashed to the ground in spectacular style, but was on his feet again in a heartbeat and it took several more cartridges to overcome his initial adrenalin boost and finally secure those fabulous trophy horns!

Shouldering the 18 kilos (40 lbs) of head gear back several kilometres to the vehicle in the November heat and humidity was certainly an onerous task, but not one that I would swap for anything! Back in town the tape-measure indicated 18-inch bases and lengths of 36 1/2 and 38 1/2 inches for a green-score of 111 points: indeed a fitting farewell tribute to that iconic "Empire" double.

http://www.marrakai-adventure.com.au/H_LastDance.html
Read more of Marrakai's stories on the link

Contact Us NitroExpress.com