Postman
(.375 member)
13/10/19 11:39 PM
Re: OSR, Double Damage and Barnes' Response

Quote:

Quote:

This doesn't seem to happen with monometal bullets equipped with stress relief grooves, and following the hypothesis above, they simply do not cause high pressures of examples with no stress grooves......

I wouldn't rely on "grooves" in the full calibre width of the bullet one little bit. Instead the best monometal bullet examples have RAISED bands with the 'shank' being sub calibre. The rifling can groove the rainsed bands without excessive pressure or displacement. The grooves hardly change it at all. My hypothesis.

Interesting you observed the OSR on a bolt action Weatherby. Usually the reports of it are on much thinner barrelled multi barrel firearms.

Yes John, you are correct and have sharpened the point quite accurately. Bore rider mono-metals are the ONLY bullet one would want to use if one is to use monometals. Simply carving a few grooves in a full caliber width bullet would give me no comfort whatsoever.

Yes, my first rifle bigger than a small bore (aka typical North American 30 cal love affair, aka .30-06, .30-30, .303, and a 7mm Rem mag thrown in for fun) was that brand spanking new .378 Weatherby and yes, it died a horrible and premature death due to OSR. Weatherby used nothing but forged rifling barrels at that time. It had incredible deep deep blueing and gorgeous pimped out beautifully figured wood that would make the most hardened person cry. And I killed it. I bought it in October, joined my first gun club in December of that year so I'd have a place to shoot it, and by January it was royally fucked with OSR. The only good thing that came out of it was that the gun club I joined because of it, started me on 20+ years of formal competitive shooting of all sorts.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com