Postman
(.375 member)
11/10/19 09:55 PM
Re: OSR, Double Damage and Barnes' Response

Hi Rule303:

I will keep using the Hydros as I don’t think my limited experience is enough to pass firm judgement. I’ve seen a few pics of them here on the NE forum retrieved from game and other than the rifling marks, the only deformation sometimes evident was a slight bending of the lip of the nose cup. This slight bending of the lip was also evident in my other hydro retrieved from the inside of the off shoulder and was something I would fully expect to see in any event.

Your description of bore rider is in alignment with my understanding of the design.

As to the straight line penetration, yes, it is entirely possible that my one Hydro in question entered at a quartering away presentation and ended up forward in the neck. Things happen very fast with a dry land hippo heading for water at full tilt, and my sample size of one riveted and bent bullet is too small to draw any firm conclusions. I do feel however that the Hydros are not over stressing my rifle barrels, whereas other solids may not be so kind and this is a good thing!

Either way, a hunter can’t go too far wrong with a Hydro or a Barnes banded solid in a good modern double.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com