Postman
(.375 member)
09/10/19 10:12 AM
Re: OSR, Double Damage and Barnes' Response

Quote:

Quote:

Yes - lots of questions. .5's with steel cores, .223 with tungsten cores - same deal. Is ball 7.63x39 ball lead or steel core?

What's a bummer is that it seems that every time we find an OSR'd barrel, measurements or other observation for those of us who have never seen it is, for some reason, not possible. IIRC, Mark Cash did post a pic of one back in antiquity, but I don't recall the details, nor do I remember if there were any dimensional changes noted.

I wish I could show you that Weatherby barrel, particularly because it was so blatantly obvious to the naked eye. I tried a bit of surfing and there isn’t any pics on the net that I’ve managed to uncover. I suppose that this type of barrel ruination must not be terribly common and I sure wish it hadn’t happened to me because I had a really powerful attachment to that Weatherby with the idle dreams of the young to one day somehow hunt Africa with it. Don’t know what else to tell you.... It happened to MY rifle and I dumped it with a broken heart. People can shoot whatever they want through their guns and disbelieve that OSR even exists, but I’ve learned my lesson.

So as curiosity killed the cat, I couldn’t sit still and went to dig out the remaining Barnes X bullets that I knew I’ve been sitting on since dumping the Weatherby. They measure out at 0.3741 or 0.3742..... Hard to tell with the .001 increment Starrett dial micrometer, but it is definitely at least 0.0001 bigger than 0.3740. The box is labelled as follows:

50 BULLETS
375cal. 375dia.
270GR “X”
CANNELURED
938/1 9/1/98

It appears that at some point I consolidated the partially finished 1st box as there are 71 bullets in this box, ergo it is probable I fired 29 of them in that Weatherby .378.

And that’s all I’ve got in forensic material other than my memory and my Internet say so concerning what I experienced wrt to OSR.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com