Bloodnativ
(.275 member)
14/06/05 02:53 AM
Re: homemade doubles

In reply to:

I'd think the 45-70 spartan would be much more cost effective than building a home-made double (safer too).

Two barrel blanks on your project gun will cost you almost as much as the spartan, and you know the spartan is safe to shoot.

I would love to try one of the Spartans (though after rechambering to something other than 45/70) but it seems that Remington can't deliver what they promise. I have yet to see one at any dealer and have yet to find any dealer who knows when they will be here. Remington also says that the Spartans shouldn't be used with ammo exceeding 28,000 psi. WHAT KIND OF CRAP IS THAT! That's the loads for the old Trapdoor Springfields. That's about as useful as a hemorhoid.

Furthermore I can buy the barrel blanks individually (and any other parts or outside labor that may be needed) as my budget allows. I don't have to come out of pocket with the whole roll at once. I plan on starting a "Double Rifle Savings Plan" after I finish my degree but with a family with 3 kids (ranging in age from newborn-11 years) I don't see it happening. Besides building one will be quite therapeutic.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com