Postman
(.375 member)
10/05/19 10:19 AM
Re: Merkel doubling - fixed?

I firmly believe its a design fault. Merkel is a kind of an odd company or at least their products strike me as a bit of an enigma.

In Germany I understand they are relatively low cost doubles, but for the rest of the world, they are pretty damned pricey. The small bore doubles crowd $6.5k in CDN $ and the big bore Safari rifles are on the order of $10k CDN. Cheaper by maybe 10 - 20% compared to a Chapuis, and cheaper even more so than a Verney Carron. Less than half price of a Heym.

In my humble estimation, what one gets for their money is a rifle that is nicely fitted and finished, at least externally. The wood, albeit somewhat plain grained, is of good sturdy quality and the wood to metal joins are well done, even considering their international prices. The screws are beautifully timed, and the engraving is nicely and tastefully executed if somewhat shallow. They are short and handy. Fast handling and well balanced.

Function is generally quite good, save for the trigger sear issue that would appear prevalent in the first decade of the current century.

Now for the internals: I’ve not opened mine all the way up so I cannot comment on how well finished the internal parts are. I have had the plastic butt plate off and the wood is properly sealed, and the butt plate is serial number matched to the rifle.

The bore scope tells not such a pretty story... The chambers on all three I’ve had looked like someone invented a miniature tractor and used it to pull one of those field tilling disc thingies (my apologies to farmers - I am farm equipment illiterate) hither and yon around the chamber neck area and into the start of the lands. I did not have the bore scope when I owned my drilling so I can’t comment on it’s state of bore finish. Surprisingly enough, even with the ham fisted piss poor chamber cutting work, the rifles shoot very accurately. The 9.3x74R is also regulated right along with the best I’ve ever seen. The .470 was regulated ok and The 141A I had was adjustable as the factory claimed, although I did struggle to get those barrels to shoot together.

So, you get what you pay for.... I think it’s a lower cost, reasonable value for the money double rifle. For those that can’t swing a new Holland & Holland, myself definitely included, the Merkel provides a way in to the world of doubles with a reasonably well made rifle. BUT, it may have a few warts not present in a higher quality, higher priced rifle.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com