iwantadouble
(.300 member)
08/06/05 06:44 PM
Re: New to forum and relatively new to doubles- Fe

I don't think that you need a new gun to have a gun that fits perfectly. In fact I know better, even with my limited knowledge on the subject. When I went into Westley Richards and looked around, the little Francotte I was handed was near impossible to NOT sight dead on when brought to my shoulder. I had to uncomfortably place myself into a position that nobody would ever shoot from to get out of sight alignment. It was extremely hard to do. Not bad for a rifle that was made in the 1930's, five decades before I was produced. Of course, its a rarity to find something like that, and that makes it even more cherrished (in my opinion) than a gun that one just ordered brand new.

I've also heard the steel arguement brought up (not limiting to just doubles but all firearms) many times in the past. I'm not buying into it. That is, when the firearm is shooting the loadings that fit into the pressure ranges of those it was intended for. Irregardless of the metalurgical improvements, anything overcharged will fail. What it boils down to is resisting the hot rodding urge to try for .22 caliber velocities from a .400-.600 caliber bullet. And on a double, I would be more than content to stay within, or to a certain point, slightly below the accepted charges. (Then again, I am not hunting Africa or India. At that point I would take a new gun that I would not care about getting lost, abused, or what not. The thought of losing or damaging a pristine example of a fine gun made in a time that has long since vanished in all forms save for romantic tales of man versus beast would be reprehensible.)

Contact Us NitroExpress.com