CMWill
(.224 member)
01/06/05 12:59 PM
homemade doubles

I am sure this board has seen its hare of crazy questions, but I just cant help but add on to that list. In the past Ive noticed people converting cheap SxS shotguns into small caliber double rifles. Usually .410 boxlocks into 22 hornets or other small calibers, etc. I know this is done by inserting tubes in the existing shotgun bbls, which have chambers fit to the desired cartridge and are usually rifled(correct?). It just so happens, I know a few machinists, and was curious how hard this really is. Im sure regulating a 22 hornet isnt too bad, but I dont even know how to go about starting a project like this. Do you buy the barrel inserts from somewhere(I am not able to rifle a barrel, but I could turn one out on a lathe and chamber it), do you take the existing bbls apart and then heat them to expand the bbl and then insert the new tubes with a binding compound?, is there a book on this process? Has anyone here done this? Realistically, can me and a few machinists(mostly machinists) do this? I realize having a gunsmith do this would be a little easier, but my gunsmith no longer has time to works on guns and I would rather do it myself for the fun of it. If anything were to go wrong, at least Im not destroying a $20,000 Purdey right? But I sure would love to have a little petite double rifle in something like .303 british or .22 hornet. Any information is greatly appreciated. Even if you all convince me Id be in way over my head Id still be happy knowing how its done.

Thanks again,

CMW

Contact Us NitroExpress.com