NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
19/02/19 11:32 PM
Re: Chapuis SxS in 9.3x74 - Opinions Pls.

Daryl

I do not own one. I have handled them. I have visited the factory.

As with a lot of makers, there can be different grades, usually cosmetic, with regards to walnut quality, metal work finishes and especially engraving will affect the price a lot.

Out of double rifles, Chapuis is one of the cheaper makers. Most of the rifle seen are more to the base grades of their offerings. I don't know if I have ever seen a higher grade chapuis outside of the factory. By no means an expert however. There are also a small number of cheaper makers, which by reputation are lesser to the Chapuis brand. In the end PRICE is often a determiner of what you are buying. And a determiner to the level/quality and quantity of work put into each unit.

MOST people have reported their rifles are to their expectations. Reasonable accuracy. Reasonable regulation. Regulation can depend on what ammo was sued and also on what conditions were part of the regulation process. Adding a scope to a rifle regulated for open sights may affect it substantially. The rifle if ordered new, should be regulated for such things as the desired sights right from the beginning, and the choice of ammo desired or a completementary choice of ammo desired.

Most people have reported good results.

I know one NE member had a horror story of a rifle, where he also seemed to not get good support from the factory. I don't remember the exact details. And don';t remember any resolution to his problems.

I also know some Chapuis have been reported to me as needing to be reregulated. There may have been reasons for this.

I know one Chapuis rifle was observed by a knowledgeable member of this forum, to have had observable rifling on the outside of the barrels reportedly by the use of mono metal projectiles in the rifle. I personally would not shoot mono metal projectiles in any thin walled rifle, double rifle or multi barrel rifle especially if soldered together. Other brands right up to the most expensive have reportedly been damaged by monometal bullets, so notjust the chapuis. I asked two other DR makers and they claimed it was not a problem for their rifles. I still would not use monometal bullets. Makes life hard if one is in California though.

My personal opinion is functionally I would have no issue in buying a Chapuis if after inspection it was in sound condition and shot according to regulation. Personally I do find some cosmetic aspects of the brand unappealing. This is a personable preference only. Other people love theirs.

If buying an existing rifle, the best advice is to examine it. And if not experienced ask someone knowledgeable to look at it. And especially if possible to shoot it, with the ammo it is supposed to be regulated with, or close to that ammo. And the sights it is supposed to be regulated with.

If the new owner buys a rifle regulated for open sights, then sticks a huge monstrous scope on it, it is pure luck if the rifle will shoot to regulation.

As for the 9.3x74R chambering, it is an excellent choice, and is ideal for Canada, and would handle any of your deer, elk, moose and bear. It is also a relatively mild cartridge for its size and quite easy to shoot.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com