buckstix
(.400 member)
17/07/18 07:46 PM
Re: An Early Vintage Verney Carron .475 No.2 Nitro Express

Quote:

475No2 that is a big cased cartridge...real cigarclass cartridge.

Very interesting rifle, looks like it have been on a few adventures.

Hello Yochanan

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, its character shows signs of being hunted.

Quote:

Now this is one cartridge I haven't heard much about, it will be an interesting read when you get this one going!

Hello 93x64mm

Thanks for the reply

I hadn't heard much about this cartridge until I bought the rifle. Turns out its the "longest" cartridge of the double rifle chamberings. I find its a real classic.

Quote:

For a shotgun signed Verney – Carron a Liege see here: http://www.littlegun.be/arme%20belge/artisans%20identifies%20t%20w/a%20verney%20caron%20gb.htm
In the 1920s V-C, St. Etienne, France, had guns made by the Liege guntrade. These guns they retailed under their own name, a practice common among European gunmakers. Even some "name" British guns were actually made in Liege, merely finished and proofed in England.

Hello Kuduae

Thanks for the reply.

I find the History about Verney Carron in Belgium to be very interesting.

Quote:

iirc, we had this verney carron problem here before and this was first and foremost one of the biggger trader that sold guns under his own name. made in liege for sure but I dont know how close they were to the maker.

a good double rifle you can be proud

Hello lanchaster

Thanks for the reply,

I doubt we'll ever know all the details about the Verney Carron business in Belgium.

Quote:

Nice rifle! Kirby at Vintage doubles is a nice gentleman to work with. I bought my Simson 405 Win Double form him several years ago.

Hello AZDAVE

Thanks for the reply,

Yes, Kirby is a real pleasure to work with. This is my 4th purchase from him, and I've been very happy with each one. He's Honorable, Trustworthy, and has high Integrity.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com