szihn
(.400 member)
05/03/18 01:16 PM
Re: Double Rifle Speed versus Blaser Straight Pull

Comparing the rifles that way is not a good test.

I did this a while back myself with a CZ602 I made in 460 G&A shooting against a Manton 450/400 double. The double kicked less. Keep that in mind as I tell the story please.

We shot 2 rounds for speed at a 5" target at 15 yards. Hits counted and misses didn't.

I won with the bolt action every time, because my competitor rushed and shot faster but missed 1 time each time we did the drill, and twice he missed both shots. 2 hits for me. 1 hit or no hits for him.

We then shot at a 2 foot sized sand stone at 200 yards. Same test. 2 shot each, no misses counted. There he slowed down and hit every time, but not as fast as I did. Again the bolt action won by a pretty large margin.

Last we shot at the same rock at 200, but for 4 shots. Predictably I won every time. I had that rock hit the 4th time before he had the 3rd and 4th rounds loaded and the gun back on target in most cases.

What did that prove?

I think it proved a man that shoots almost every day for a living, and goes thought about 6,000 to 7,500 rounds a year minimum can out-shoot a man that shoots 5-6 times a year, and goes through about 150-200 rounds total. I am 100% sure of my conclusion. Why? Because we also swapped guns----- and I beat him with his double when he was shooting my bolt action too. Every time!

I sound like a broken record, but I keep saying it's the man, not the tool that is important in shooting.

Buying new cool guns is great, but that doesn't improve your abilities. Be it a super modern fighting pistol, hunting rifle, "tactical rifle" (in the newest fad-caliber) or expensive shotgun.

People do the shooting. Guns are just tools.
Marksmanship is key, not guns and goodies.
To do a valid test I believe we would have to gather about 20 men or more, give each one of them the same 2 rifles and ammo so each one could run the drills, and see what the times were, and then get an average as to which system is faster as a rule.

Just doing it yourself proves nothing except that YOU are faster with one gun over the other.
That's not a test of a kind of gun, but a test of an individual's skills with each gun.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com