buckstix
(.400 member)
27/02/18 10:38 AM
Re: Please help - explain marking on 450-400 EX Double Rifle

Quote:

Buck,
Good to see that you now know who built your rifle.
Well done Axel for identifying the maker.
Yes, Axel has come through again.
The action on this rifle is similar to what is often seen on Belgian double rifles.
There are a couple of small differences though.

The slot in the breech face which accommodates the barrel extension is milled right through to the top lever.

This slot usually terminates just before the top lever.
According to Braecker's 1926 catalog, this same feature is shown on their model 301 G and 302 S and 411 G models. All are milled through to the top lever.
There is a drilled hole high in the breech face which is not common in Belgian DR's that I have seen.
This hole is in-line with the hidden cross-bot and I assume its for lubrication of that cross-bolt.
Striker bushing keeper screws appear to be brass. These are usually steel so may not be original.
Not sure about this feature. I'll have to see if I can find another similar double rifle to verify.
Barrel extension appears in the photos to be two piece, where usually dovetail lump guns would have an extension made from one piece and integral with the sighting rib.
It is one piece, integral with the rib. Only the engraving changes on the extension.
The top lever screw usually/often would have a small keeper screw.
Again, according to Braecker's 1926 catalog, none of the models in the catalog show a keeper screw in the top lever. All the top levers are like the one on my rifle, no keeper screw.
It should be a nice gun if everything works ok. There might be a few little problems to start with but most can usually be sorted out without too much drama.

Looking forward to hearing how it shoots.

Oh by the way, if you end up taking the action apart for work or cleaning etc, be aware that the cocking lever screws sometimes have concealed keeper screws hidden under the action bottom plate.

Thank you for your comments.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com