CptCurlAdministrator
(.450 member)
23/02/18 10:58 PM
Re: Holland & Holland 500-450 Hammergun

Quote:

. . . And Curl you shouldn't' be critical of Turnbull....not everyone can afford the high condition guns you own ....some do need work.

It wasn't my intention to besmirch your rifle. In fact, I had no reason to know it was yours at the time. I apologize for any offensive tone to my remark.

I have a thing about Turnbull's colors; especially the overbearing yellow his formula yields. I would prefer a gun with no colors remaining than one re-done by his methods. That's my opinion. Others may have different preferences.

Navy Arms commissioned a run of Pedersoli replicas of the Colt Lightning rifle. http://www.navyarms.com/Lightning.php One of its attributes was that Turnbull did the finish work, including color case hardening. I bought one brand new and still have it. Its receiver is dominated by that same piss yellow. My comment was sparked by my own experience.

One more point. Even if this rifle is re-prooved for the full nitro load that doesn't make it a full nitro rifle. It was built to black powder standards and that will always be the case. A prime example is my Woodward .450-400 3-1/4".
Curl's Woodward .400

That rifle was re-prooved for the full nitro load.

So be it. They hurt nothing. But neither did they change anything. To me it still is a BPE, and that's the way I shoot it. No full nitro loads. Period.

One more comment about re-proofing. Yes, it should be stamped with a "Crown over R" to designate re-proof. They didn't always do that. You don't see that stamp on my Woodward.

Good luck with your sale.

Curl

Contact Us NitroExpress.com