Pugwash
(.300 member)
31/01/18 01:59 AM
Re: Has anyone heard of Shirley double rifles from the UK?

John Introduced CNC machining to Purdey's rather than H&H.In fact he was really the person that introduced CNC machines to the British guntrade and some have said he's the Grandfather to modern Gunmaking in the UK.If it wasn't for him we'd still be in the stone-age.Ian Clark was his sort of apprentice and willing slave a very long time ago.This rising bite double is actually based on an underlever Jeffery 450/400 which I bought from him and now belongs to Jeffery's.
The new rifle is actually nicely made and apparently they shoot really well.John decided to go with a rising bite rather than a dolls head but I have no idea the reason behind it.
John was working with a Mexican man named Victor O'farill.O'farill was the money and John had the engineering expertise.During their time in business together they also bought Border Barrels which is now incorporated into Sassen engineering in Birmingham.
I spoke to John just before Christmas and he told me he only needs to make a few rifles a year to stay in business.Hopefully he'll manage this as it would be ashame if another gunmaker dissapeared from the British Guntrade.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com