DUGABOY1
(.400 member)
13/05/05 10:11 PM
Re: Buying a Big Bore Double Rifle

In reply to:

Has anyone with 500NE Merkels had any problems with them? I,m thinking of getting a Merkel in the hopefully not to distant future and was either after a 9.3x74 or a 500NE. How do they stand up to lots of rounds with the 500s?
Also ,how do they Heym doubles compare to the Merkels? They are more expensive ,are they any better?

cr500, I have a Merkel chambered for 9.3X74R, and just bought one, from one of the posters here, and on AR, chambered for 470NE, but haven't gotten it yet. I would have rather had the 500NE, but this was a deal I couldn't refuse on the 470NE. The 470NE will re-sale better than the 500NE anyway. Never the less, I'd still rather have the 500NE, as I've probably sold my last double rifle, unless something drastic happens!

My Little 9.3 Merkel, and a host of Merkel shotguns I've owned over the years is what brought me to the ones I have now. I've never had one problem with any Merkel I've owned, shotgun or double rifle. The Merkel double rifles are working rifles, but will still be around for your grand kids, if you take care of them. Regardless what you hear, from those who have something to sell you, the Merkels are value for money spent. You asked about the Hyem, in comparison to the Merkel! IMO, the Hyem is one of the best made double rifles today, in the $10K to $16K range, if you want one of the "off the shelf" rifles. However, I also believe the Heym is over priced for a "one size-fits-all" double rifle, when you can have rifles made to fit for less! I'd buy the merkel, and use the extra $6K on a hunt!

Contact Us NitroExpress.com