Peterb
(.333 member)
11/05/05 11:33 AM
Re: why doesnt Ray like Chapuis s ???

Personally,

I find the Heym and Krieghoff boxy and a bit klunky although of very good quality. I find them a bit overheavy but better with the 470 as the exterior barrel size seems unchanged so the 470 is lighter. The Blaser has the best ergodynamics for me but that funky cocking system is NOT for dangerous game. I'd like to copy the butt and forearm, though. The English doubles have the others beat for looks, but are a couple pounds too heavy. Now for me, a 470 or so should NEVER weigh 12 pounds. It is just not comfortable to carry. I can live with 10-10 1/2 but asked Butch to shave as much as possible so my new 470 is 9 1/2 pounds. If it fits, you won't feel the kick. I find the Chapuis to be cheaper looking and feeling but have not shot that gun. It looks better at distance than close up. One must remember that the Europeans generally have a lack of regard for checkering. For great checkering, America has the others beat by far. I prefer the Searcy. Looks good, feels good, shoots great with extreme strength.

I changed a few things on my Searcy. I had the wood cheeks made just a bit thicker so I can add the carving such as done on Parker A-1 Specials and high grade Sauers. As a wood dealer I had Butch use one of my best pieces. Naturally, Butch makes the LOP, cast, drop to your specs. I have some other novel things planned for the wood on my next Searcy.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com