jjs
(.224 member)
08/05/05 05:15 AM
Re: Buying a Big Bore Double Rifle

I purchased my first double a couple months back. Decided on a new one simply because I did not have enough knowledge to know what I would be getting into with a vintage gun. After being around NE 450 #2 and some of the others at the DRSS shoot I have a better idea.

I handled most of the new Doubles and the Merkel just seemed to fit me better than the rest. I was going back and forth from 470 to 500. I purchased the 470 simply because I thought it would be easier to resell down the road. Either one would be a good choice 470 or 500, however, if I had a "do over" I would purchase the 500 NE but the 470 is plenty of recoil and the 500 NE more of it but I am not that recoil sensitive....I would set up to reload the beast! Based on shooting Clarks 500 NE and my 470 NE..the 500 NE is a bit more...glad to hear Clark is putting a recoil pad on it!

510 cal, 570 grain bullets, between 2050-2150 fps would seem to have superior "stopping power" over the smaller caliber Nitro rounds. I know that tree Clark "took down" was certainly impressive. Seems to me, in DR, the 500 is the most in reasonably portable firepower!!

Contact Us NitroExpress.com