clark7781
(.375 member)
07/05/05 06:42 AM
Re: Buying a Big Bore Double Rifle

Bret:

A late addition to this thread, but just throwing my two cents out there.

jjs and I hunted together at the DRSS shot in Crowell, TX two weeks ago. He and I both have Merkels--he a .470 and I a .500. Some of the other guys on the hunt with us (if I may be so bold to paraphrase some of their remarks) were surprised with the Merkels. (in a good way)

I'm very happy with my Merkel and don't regret buying it, so I would say to check out those rifles. BUT, a big but here, also SERIOUSLY consider a Searcy. My dad just dropped some bucks on a .577 with a s**t load of bells and whistles and engraving on it. After some due dilligence and some handling of others, it is obvious that Butch makes one of (if not THE) best gun for the money.

Just MHO...

Regarding the "best performing large caliber" ...go for the .500 NE. A heavier bullet with greater frontal area is there should you find yourself needing it on a hunt. The .470 will kill everything just as good as a .500, but the 500 has that "little bit" more should you need it.

I just sent my .500 to JJ to get a recoil pad installed. I won't have to hear the whining at the next DRSS everytime you crack one of those cigars off...

Contact Us NitroExpress.com