JPK
(.375 member)
14/04/05 11:13 AM
Re: JPK Thys Double rifle

To all,

Thanks for the compliments on my rifle. To me the only thing missing aestetically is vibrant english style case colors.

CFA and others who may have missed my original and subsequent post on this rifle, the rifle made by Marcel Thys in the mid 80's and is a back action sidelock ejector. The gun has bushed strikers with lock screws, a bolted safety, hidden 3rd fastener, and chopper lump barrels. The barrels are 26" and have a quarter rib with one standing and two folding. The butt wears a leather covered pad, lop is 14 15/16", dac is 1 9/16", dah is 2 13/16". Weight is 10lbs 9oz.

The rifle is chambered in 458wm and this has been the topic of much discussion on two previous threads. I bought the rifle with the intention that JJ Perideau at Champlins would convert it to 450NE 3 1/4". When JJ checked out the rifle for me prior tp purchase he suggested leaving it a 458wm and shooting it to see how thing went so far as ejection and extraction. He felt that it would likely be just fine. JJ shot the rifle and shot a two inch group at 50yds with a full inch of that being the result of crossing. The group was two inches high and two inches right of POA.

I've shot about 60 rounds through it and indeed extraction and ejection have been flawless but loading the gun has caused some hicups. Later this week I'll try shooting the gun using a technique suggested by New Guy to seat the rounds without issues. This next round of shooting will determine, I think, wether the gun will be converted. You can read the prior post to catch the details of the issues.

Thanks again,

JPK

Contact Us NitroExpress.com