NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
10/04/05 01:19 AM
Re: Two Fine Doubles - Sound Off With Your Opinion.

Capt Curl

let's consider these questions, and others that may come up:

1. Which rifle would you rather hunt with?

The one which fits, balances and points best. Can't tell without handling them. But neither actually as I wouldn't want to take either into a muddy swamp.

2. Which rifle would you rather have in your collection?

The David McKay Brown. The round body is more unusual and it appears to have additional features, engraving etc

3. Which do you believe would be a better investment?

The David McKay Brown. I think the WR already has a mark-up on the 'brand name' which has brought it up to the DMB value which is more for workmanship. The DMB has a chance to appreciate significantly over time. Though I am not an expert at all.

4. Which do you believe is better made?

Without handling them, the David McKay Brown. Much more unusal action.

5. Which do you think is better looking, and why?

DMB. Far better engraving. I like the round action. The walnut stock is better quality than the WR.

6. How do you rate the Anson & Deeley designed Westley Richards as compared to the Dickson designed David McKay Brown?

I would guess the A&D action is stronger

Of course, one rifle is a .500, the other a .470. In practical terms that should make little difference, but if you want to discuss the pros and cons of the chamberings, by all means, do so.

My choice would be for a .500. A .470 though very practical doesn't do much for me.

My answer silly or not. I hope you will share your expert opinion at the end of the "exercise".

Contact Us NitroExpress.com