trumpetman
(.224 member)
01/12/16 07:28 AM
Re: Black powder to Nitro

Iowa 303 wrote:
"I have been using shotguns with damascus barrels, both bp and nitro proofed, for over 30 years with nfb loads and never had a problem."
In 1966, Elmer Keith told me that his father had a damascus barreled Ithaca 12 gauge sxs shotgun, that was so loose, off face, that he had to physically hold, press the barrels hard against the action, or the firing pins would not fire the rounds. Further, he told me that his dad always loaded the heaviest rounds he could, for that gun. He said that he had warned his dad against using it this way, but to no avail. THAT is what got me started using damascus barreled double shotguns, and later damascus double barreled rifles. Thus far, I have never had a problem with any damascus barreled gun/rifle I ever shot---probably in the neighborhood of around 50 to 75 of them.
Yes, nitro for black powder handloads are a joy to shoot in double rifles. Forget about fears of using dacron in handloads, it is a simple process, works extremely well, is simple to do, without a single problem----try it; you will like it.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com