CptCurlAdministrator
(.450 member)
08/04/05 12:10 PM
Two Fine Doubles - Sound Off With Your Opinion.

Two Fine Doubles - Sound Off With Your Opinion.

I have been trolling the internet over the past couple of days, and I have run upon two extremely fine double rifles to die for. I can only dream of owning them, but oh, to dream!

One is a .500 Nitro Express by Westley Richards, for sale on the Cabelas website for US$49,000. Here is a preview pic and the URL link:

WR .500 NE - Cabelas

The other is a .470 Nitro Express by David McKay Brown for sale on the Westley Richards website for US$46,500. Here is a preview pic and the URL link:

D. McKay Brown .470 NE - Westley Richards

I ask all who are interested in this comparison to go to the listings and study each rifle carefully. Read the descriptions, and look at all the pictures posted there.

For additional information, here's the David McKay Brown website:

David McKay Brown

His website has lots of interesting information, including the history of Scottish gunmaking, details of the Dickson Round Action, and the McNaughton Round Action, and the history of his firm.

And, of course, you have seen a few pics of his shotties in the Double Gun Journal.

After looking at all this, let's consider these questions, and others that may come up:

1. Which rifle would you rather hunt with?

2. Which rifle would you rather have in your collection?

3. Which do you believe would be a better investment?

4. Which do you believe is better made?

5. Which do you think is better looking, and why?

6. How do you rate the Anson & Deeley designed Westley Richards as compared to the Dickson designed David McKay Brown?

Of course, one rifle is a .500, the other a .470. In practical terms that should make little difference, but if you want to discuss the pros and cons of the chamberings, by all means, do so.

When you get done with this little exercise, explain to me why anyone would order a Searcy.

That's your homework assignment for tonight, my mates.

Best regards, and have fun drooling,

Curl

P.S. to NitroX - What do we do if the listings on Cabelas and Westley-Richards change or go off? Should the photos and descriptions be copied to this forum?

Curl

Contact Us NitroExpress.com