NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
20/09/16 02:49 PM
Re: Pedersoli double rifle with hammers..

Quote:

The 45-70 is easily reamed out to a 45-90 or 45-110.
With modern powders, you do not need to go further.
In my Miroku 1886 45-90, I get 2150 fps with the 450 grain Kodiak and that kills Cape buffalo well.

My friend in Australia kills their water buff with a 300 grain .405 WCF bullet, so with proper 45-70 ammo, you do not need to extend the chamber unless you really want to see what you can get out of the rifle.
If you do extend to 45-90, please let us know how it goes.

Yeah "my mate" also killed one with a .22 RF and didn't even hit it, the breeze dropped it dead ....

Was having a good long talk to Graham Williams of Australian Buffalo Hunters yesterday.

During the conversation, it appears he has 'hardened' his ideas of what is expected from a water buffalo.

Always shoot it again, even if it drops down to the first shot. They are often just stunned and will soon try to get up again. This is also my experience.

They often take more than two shots to kill.

He now uses a .500 Jeffery as his back up rifle. And as a bolt action. No longer uses a double rifle. As he says two rounds are not enough. Fine use, a .577 NE or a .600 NE but he now wants a bolt action with a magazine.

Between him and his other guide, they have had sixteeen water buffalo charges over the years. The so called "stopping rifle" he says is only a stopping rifle, when the brain is hit.

A .375 with a 300 gr should be minimum, better a 350 gr. Or a .400, or .450 etc.

From a man who has shot a lot of buffalo and been present for the shooting of a lot of water buffalo.

Sure "mates" have used 6.5x54mm to kill water buffalo quite well, when undisturned and when not wounded and charging down on one.

My own small experience with a charging buffalo from last year was when it was shot in the lungs with my .450 and later when found, it took two more .450's to the chest without even flinching. Still died, but had it in the end not ran past me when I ducked behind a tree to reload, it would have been an end of the barrel brain shot proposition after reloading.

Big bulls also soak up the lead more than smaller bulls and cows. Water buffalo are bigger and heavier than cape buffalo.

Yep, if planning to use in "Down Under", go for the .450 NE version.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com