eagle27
(.400 member)
11/08/16 05:50 PM
Re: Scout scope on double

That looks a nicely balanced set up with the scope mounted nice and low and of course when the gun is broken open you do not have half the scope hanging out the back of the barrels. I find that scopes in the ordinary position on doubles, most mounted too high, make the double look unbalanced. Maybe they are mounted high to not interfere with the loading but that just highlights that the normal eye relief scope is not ideally suited for the double. Compared with the fit of the gun for open sights which is the prime use of a big double, the high scope cannot possible be as 'efficient' to use.

I have the Leupold 2x EER scope set up on my 404 Mauser too, nice and low and the forward position of the ocular lens makes loading or recharging the magazine a breeze. I wouldn't change it for anything.

Note that Taylor stresses several times when discussing scopes on guns that they must be mounted "correctly in the low position" or as "low as possible". He did use scopes so obviously knew a thing or two on their use on African game.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com