CommandCar
(.333 member)
21/06/16 12:07 PM
Re: Browning Continental 30-06, anyone own or shoot

I had one for a while. Mine was accurate, I did do some shopping and tried a bunch of premium brands of ammunition. Most brands gave satisfactory results. Individual barrel groups were good to excellent and I had one variety, maybe federal 165 or 180 grain accubonds or ballistic tips that did very well. Certainly sub-grapefruit size composite groups at 100 yards (very good for off the shelf double). One barrel was MOA or better, the other opened things up a little bit, but still very good.

They have a decient reputation, and are probably better groupers than alot of the various mid-grade european doubles out there today. Plus you have a limitless variety of loads if you do get it in 30/06, so that's a big bonus. Many of the less common calibers must be handloaded to get them to group simply because your factory offerings are extremely limited. The likelyhood of finding the favored flavor at the local ammo shop is really high.

Generally, the extreme range usage is such that the long range sights are set to the most accurate barrel and the double is used more like a single shot. Trial and error will give you a mental correction factor for use of the second barrel, although, you may get lucky and find you have adequate composite groups for extreme ranges.

I never tried mine more than 100 yards. Owned it, figured out what it liked as a rifle. It had shotgun barrels, but the stock did not fit me well, so I traded it off. Gave the targets away with it, otherwise i'd give you a better idea how it did & what it liked.

Buy one.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com