(.275 member)
28/03/05 01:44 AM
Re: Gentlemen, she regulates beautifully.

Thanks for the good information and encouragement, Phil. I have a chance to go on the hog hunt with the guys but don't know if I'll get the Andrews regulated in time to do so.

I did slug the bores and they measured between .407" and .408" on average. So, I think the .408" Woodleighs and Hawks should work well. The Hawk has a soft jacket .025" that should be easy on the bores. I've used it before in my .40-82WCF original model 1895 Marlin with great success. One-shot kill on a seventeen point Whitetail in 2003. It took him in the left front shoulder and ended up just a lump under the skin on the right shoulder. Dropped him right where he stood...never got up.

I had heard that IMR4831 seems to be the powder of choice for the 450/400 3-1/4" with RL15 being a decent substitute. Like most rifles, each has its own likes and dislikes. I'm anxious to see what the Andrews wants. I'm also going to try some XMR5744 with the 300gr. Hawk bullets to see how it works.

I found out a little about C. W. Andrews Ltd. from the Internet Gun Club website and from some folks on this forum. But, not much. Do you know of anyone I could contact that might know more about Andrews...maybe even know where I could locate a copy or picture of their trade label?

I'll report back in after testing the Andrews. Thanks, Phil.

Terry

Contact Us NitroExpress.com