DUGABOY1
(.400 member)
27/03/05 07:31 AM
Re: Buying a double?

The Captain, and 500 grs have both given you good advice! The Merkel is cheaper to buy, and is a fine rifle, but the extra $1000, to $1500 for the B. Searcy PH is worth it in every way! That extra money is not simply for a different name on the rifle, but is for things like being fitted to you, the standard wood is an up grade on most off the shelf doubles, though the Merkels usually have very nice wood. The PH has auto selective ejectors as a standard,while the Merkel has extractors, and the very minimal engraveing on the Searcy is hand done, while this seems to be rolled on on the Merkel. The Searcys also come with recoil pad already installed, while on the Merkel you must have it installed. On a 500NE a recoil pad is a must, no metter who made the rifle. Where accuracy is concerened, no double rifle, I know of, will be more accurate, than the Searcy! However, the Merkels are very accurate as well.

In my case I could live with the 500NE, or 470NE Merkel, quite nicely, and use the extra money to buy another trophy on my hunt, and be able to pick it up today, and in one week have all the extras done, and be hunting. With the Searcy, you are getting a Very well made rifle, made to your order, and with some things that come standard, that are options on the other one. The down side is the wait of nine months, and $1500 in cost!

I wouldn't feel unarmed in the bush with the biggest Elephant, or Buffalo with either! It all depends what you want! Like other's here, I would advise you to buy NEW, but which you buy is up to you!

Contact Us NitroExpress.com