CptCurlAdministrator
(.450 member)
24/05/16 09:28 PM
Re: Black powder to Nitro

Quote:

CptCurl

The rifle i am considering is a Fraser .450-400 3 1/4 BPE that is probably from about the same period as the 1891 Woodward on your website, possibly a bit later. (There was a nearly identical rifle in the Amoskeag April sale) Actually, it was the fact that the Woodward had been re-proofed with the original barrels that got me thinking about it in the first place. The Woodward is a gorgeous rifle by the way.

When I first began thinking about double rifles, it was a Holland pre-war sidelock in .375 flanged or 500/465 that I had to have. Then I started thinking about English and Continental boxlocks and finally decided the Fraser (Scottish of course) is the most appealing boxlock to my eye.

I suppose I'm holding the "smoking gun."

Yes, my Woodward was put to nitro proof at some point in its existence and passed. In my view, does that stand as a green light to sally forth with a cartridge belt full of .450-400 3-1/4" NE cartridges with that rifle in hand? No. Not for me.

There is such a marked difference between that rifle and one designed for the nitro cartridge. The Woodward is light and petite. A proper nitro .450-400 is a big, heavy, robust rifle. You know it was designed for the punishment of the nitro round. The action is larger, the stock is beefier.

Would my Woodward explode if fired with a pair of nitro rounds? Dunno. We know it didn't when it went through the London Proof House for that trial. So what would I expect to happen if it were subjected to a steady diet of nitro rounds? I think in short order the barrels would come off face and the stock would likely crack or split. A work of art would thus be damaged or destroyed.

I fire nitro-for-black loads in my Woodward, and what a great joy it is! It just loves a 265 grain cast gas-check bullet propelled at the velocity of its original BP loading. As Marrakai says, this is a wonderful load for deer or elk; even black bear. It's easy on the shoulder and will not harm my beautiful Woodward in the slightest.

I have a big, robust Greener Facile Princeps Treble Wedge Fast double chambered in the .450-400 3-1/4" Nitro Express that I reach for when I want to pretend I'm chasing Jumbo.

To me, the London nitro proofs on my Woodward are simply superfluous. Interesting yes, but not instructive as to how the rifle should be used.

So thanks for putting the debate back in my lap. I had no idea my Woodward was central to your inquiry. Touche!

As an aside let me point out that Woodward made a number of these "Automatic" rifles chambered for the .303 British. In terms of chamber pressure, that round is way up there compared to other nitro express rounds. That may tell us the action can withstand the pressure. However, the modest recoil generated by the .303 isn't going to destroy the wood or a shooter's shoulder.

I think Woodward also chambered these in the .450 3-1/4" BPE. I would not dream of touching off a .450NE in one of those rifles.

Best,
Curl

Contact Us NitroExpress.com