Huvius
(.416 member)
16/04/16 12:41 PM
Re: Lancaster Double in.450 Rigby #2 ... value?

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Guys, any extimate of value?

John, I wish I could help out with an estimate, but I'm not really up to date with current pricing on DR's.

Curl or Huvius and others, might be able to suggest a current value for insurance purposes?

Priceless mate.....you can't put a dollar value on history!
You have the genuine article in your safe at home, the real McCoy with photos to prove it.
With care of it & will out last your kids!
Shame you never had the ivory still - how much would that be would now-a-days?
Make sure you have it in your will to go to family that appreciate what you really have.
Would be a tragedy to see it just thrown away as you see all to often.
Hope to see photos of what this old girl can do on the range & game of more recent times!
93x64mm

Exactly!
I hesitate to offer advice on pricing an heirloom such as this for precisely the reasons stated above.
For insurance purposes, just peruse the market and price it according to what you see offered that is similar. Then maybe add 25%.
Bear in mind that if it were to be lost or stolen, NO money or rifle will ever truly replace it. Its value to you will never be equaled.

Now, back to the rifle.
You have already tapped into the best resource on the web and you being in NZ will surely get the help needed from members here to get the Lancaster shooting again. Hopefully shipping from Oz to NZ isn't too difficult as I would expect there to be a few shooting the No.2 there.
The 450 No.2 is a big case and a bit of an odd man out in the 450 group but what class! Even loaded down, just dropping those huge cartridges into the chambers and leveling the sights on target is an event!

One option is to find 475 No.2 brass and start with that. Probably not any less expensive, but I'd wager that Kynoch did produce a lot more of it than the 450 so maybe easier to find. The case specs are a little different but I do believe I have heard of it being used.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com