Buchsemann
(.333 member)
16/03/16 12:04 PM
Re: Please explain the differences

On the German side of things ...

In German "drei" is three. With regards to firearms "drilling" is any combination of three. This can be the more common SXS shotgun with a rifle barrel parked below or ...

A double rifle drilling "doppelbuchsdrilling" wherein "doppel" is two and "buchse", in this case, means rifle. Not sure if the double rifle drilling always has to have a shot barrel below.

A "Bockdrilling" where "bock" means over/under and any combination of three.

Then there is the three shotgun barrel combination or the three rifle barrel combination. Every once in a while we see the three shotgun barrel combination but I personally haven't seen three rifle barrels ... yet.

The German term for the SXS configuration of a rifle and a shotgun barrel (called a Cape Gun by some) is "Buchsflinte", again where "buchse" is rifle and the shotgun barrel "flinte". The over/under configuration of this combination is called a "Bock Buchsflinte", sometimes seen abbreviated on the forums as a "BBF".

For the double rifle types the Germans refer to them as "Doppelbuchse" (SXS) and "Bockdoppelbuchse" (O/U).

In all this you can expect to see a wide range of rifle calibers and the same shotgun gages you'd see in other countries. "Back in the day" the customer could order just about anything.

Hope I have this correct after these many years but if not I trust our German friends can get such in order.

Mark

… not wanting to assume anything I’d sure like to know what the official German terms are for the three shotgun barrel and three rifle barrel drillings are. German gun folks?

Contact Us NitroExpress.com