NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
15/03/16 05:20 PM
Re: Please explain the differences

Quote:

Can someone give me an explanation to the differences between a cape gun and a drilling? I am sort of confused on the subject and the variations of the two. I see cape guns going for lower prices alot of times than the drillings, so wanted to know the differences in the two.

Josh

Quote:

Quote:

Igorrock, or anyone that could help, can you point me to some websites that have any for sale? I would love to look and see what they are if you do not mind. Thanks in advance
Josh

A simple Google search "cape gun" is an amazing thing ;-))
Everything right there to answer your original question......

Quote:

Alas 3dog, I have. Maybe I am not putting in the right subject matter, but I am finding little to answer what I am looking for

First question pretty well answered already.

Cape gun, was a name for side by side shotgun barrel and rifle barrel from early South Africa or used there. A drilling, ie a German word, is a three barrelled rifle/shotgun combination. Also no such thng as a two barrelled "drilling".

The reason "cape guns" might be cheaper than "dillings" is the cape guns are probably older rifles/shotguns, originak vintage guns, and often the rifle barrel is in an unattractive chambering/calibre, not in much demand nowdays. Often originally a black powder cartridge. Some makers still make modern "cape guns" eg I believe Heym does, Blaser etc. The drillings might be older or brand new.

How to find a really nice combination firearm/gun at a really good price?

Million dollar question ... got to get out there and look. The internet makes most sellers nowadays knowledgeable ... send me $10,000 and I will find you a really nice $4000 drilling or even cape gun ...

Contact Us NitroExpress.com