Birdhunter50
(.375 member)
28/01/16 01:11 AM
Re: Baikal Rifle in 45/70 - yet another one

Nailcreek,
The first thing you need to do is to either disassemble it and fix the triggers or have a good gunsmith do it for you. The Russians don't waste any time cleaning up burrs or polishing the internal parts. This is to be expected on a cheaper gun such as these. If you get the triggers down to around four pounds of pull weight, that will go a long way towards making the gun shoot better for you.
Forget soaking it in anything, do the work on it and then it will stay, as you have actually fixed the problem. This needs to be done before regulating or anything else. It is nearly impossible to regulate a gun with terrible triggers.
I know about this because my Baikal had triggers that pulled at almost the same weight as the gun. I took a chance and opened it up and filed off all the burrs and polished the bearing surfaces and put it all back together again. Here's a hint, if you do this yourself, work on a large piece of cardboard or other real clean surface, and pay close attention to what goes where and how the parts fit to each other. You can do it if you're careful. Bob

Contact Us NitroExpress.com