Rell
(.375 member)
05/01/16 11:23 PM
Re: 7X65r double rifle for driven hunt?

Nojden,

I have a Chapuis ejector gun in 9.3x74r with a spair pair of 7x65r barrels. I think the extra barrels added about $3000 USD to the cost of the gun.

The 9.3 shot bry well with Norma 286gr Orynx factory loads (what it was regulated with) I bought 1000 bullets and I'm still tweaking the hand loads but I'm close to duplicating the 2 inch 4 shot groups at 100m.

The 7 was regulated with Norma 156gr Orynx and it shot apart both vertically as well as horizontally. I sent the gun back to JJ at Champlin and he deregulated it for 200m. It now shoots factory and reloads quite well.

If I had it over to do again I would just get the 9.3 in the Chapuis SxS and maybe do a Verney-Carron OxU in 7.

I just don't like the German styling to the Merkel, Heym or Krieghof. The Chapuis, VC and Arrietta guns just look and feel better to me.

I sense that you are leaning towards the 8mm, I have no experience with it but you might be right that it's a really good comprimise. I use the 9.3 in Africa and hunt bushbucks in thick cover in areas with dangerous game and I just feel better with it for that purpose.

Good luck.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com